St. Paul Re, Inc.
President and Chief Executive Officer
• Established and managed all aspects of the run-off
operations in New Jersey and London, including St Paul Re (US and UK),
Unionamerica and St. Katherine’s ($5 billion reserves).
• Developed and implemented a cohesive run-off strategy
for discontinued reinsurance operations.
• Negotiated commutations of inwards and outwards
reinsurance contracts with domestic and international
cedents and retrocessionaires.
• Staff included approximately 65 people in New Jersey
and 120 people in London.
Travelers Property Casualty
Vice President and Associate General
• Managed Travelers ceded reinsurance position (approximately
$1 billion reserves) with respect to long-tail, cumulative injury
claims such as asbestos, pollution and toxic tort claims.
• Supervised a staff of claim professionals and attorneys who
formulated and presented reinsurance claims concerning
international reinsurance arbitration and litigation.
• Member of Travelers due diligence team with respect
to corporate acquisitions.
University of Connecticut School of Law
Lecturer of Law
• Created Principles of Reinsurance and Introduction to
the London Insurance Market courses in the Insurance
Law Center’s LL.M. program.
American Excess Insurance Association
• Managed the claim run-off operation of the American Excess
Insurance Association (AEIA), an insurance pool that wrote
high layer excess insurance.
||Travelers Property Casualty
Associate General Counsel
• Directed and managed major environmental and asbestos insurance coverage litigation,
including pleading and brief preparation and review, discovery coordination,
settlement negotiation and trial preparation.
• Assisted in the formulation of national corporate policy regarding insurance
coverage for environmental and asbestos claims and supervised those responsible
for implementing that policy.
• Advised senior management concerning setting of reserves and assessing
the legal implications of underwriting and claims handling practices.
Porter,Wright,Morris & Arthur
• Member of the Corporate and Environmental Departments engaging in general
corporate practice, as well as various environmental law issues, including hazardous
(RCRA), Superfund (CERCLA and SARA), and wetlands
• Represented corporations in the acquisition of wetlands and discharge
permits and the defense of environmental
Bar Admissions, Education and Certifications
• Connecticut, District of Columbia, Ohio
• University of Connecticut – Master of Business Administration with
emphasis in finance and international business
• National Law Center, George Washington University – Juris Doctor,
• Wittenberg University – Bachelor of Arts
• ARIAS-US Certified Arbitrator and Umpire