St. Paul Travelers Companies
Executive Vice President
• Reported to the President and Chief Executive Officer, and participated
as a member of the Executive Management Team.
• Interacted with the Company’s Board of Directors, its Audit and
Risk Committees as well as with rating agencies and various state insurance departments
regarding a myriad of claim issues.
• Co-managed the Claim Department comprised of 13,000 employees, including
responsibility for the integration and
merger between St. Paul and Travelers.
• Responsible for all standard insurance claims, including automobile, worker’s
compensation, general liability and property.
• Responsible for all specialty claims, including assumed reinsurance, directors
and officers, errors and omissions,
legal and medical malpractice, umbrella, excess and surplus lines, pharmaceutical
drugs, asbestos, environmental, silica,
toxic tort, construction defect, sexual abuse, and surety claims.
• Supervised the resolution of all coverage, extra-contractual and bad faith
litigation, including the resolution of one of the
largest asbestos settlements ($1 billion) by any insurer.
• Designed and implemented a claim trainee program for college graduates
and a retention program for highly skilled,
retirement eligible claim professionals.
• Enhanced claim systems and procedures pertaining to ceded reinsurance,
policy aggregate tracking and structured settlements.
• Served as the Company’s representative to the American Insurance
Association’s Claim Committee, and assisted in efforts to create a National
Asbestos Trust Fund through federal legislation.
• Negotiated the commutation of various assumed and ceded reinsurance treaties,
and collaborated with Corporate Actuarial
on loss trends, expense models, claim reserving practices and claim resolution
Senior Vice President
• Reported to the President and Chief Executive Officer and managed the
Special Liability Group, a specialty claim
organization comprised of 550 employees, including claim professionals,
attorneys, engineers, reinsurance claim (ceded
and assumed) professionals, and the finance team.
• Responsible for approximately $800 million (net) annual loss and allocated
loss adjustment payments as well as an operating budget of $50 million.
• Responsible for all specialty claims and reinsurance cessions; supervised
the resolution of all coverage, extra-contractual and bad faith litigation.
• Developed various innovative claim strategies to assist claim resolution,
e.g. lost insurance policy protocol, large
loss programs, emergency response teams for environmental releases, etc.
• Interacted with state insurance departments during their various qualitative
reviews of the Group’s claim processes and procedures, as well as their
quantitative reviews of the Company’s loss and expense reserves.
• Served as a senior member of various due diligence teams.
• Collaborated with Underwriting on a number of important initiatives, including
the drafting of proprietary asbestos, tobacco and absolute pollution exclusions.
Bar Admissions, Education and Certifications
• New Jersey and Connecticut
• Villanova University School of Law – Juris Doctor
• Seton Hall University – Bachelor of Arts